By supporting the Scheme, Participants will benefit through the following outcomes:
Enhanced credibility delivered through demonstrated leadership shown by the adoption of environmentally and socially responsible strategies that:
- Increase the capacity to manage end of life mattresses in Australia through strategically located infrastructure and services;
- Increase consumer awareness of the impacts of end of life mattress disposal
- Improve the economic health and wellbeing for people who have experienced barriers to employment;
- Enhance the Australian recycling industry and support for sustainable markets for end-of-life mattress derived products;
- Pre-empt more costly government intervention on mattress disposal
The scheme also assists the mattress industry to deliver on the objectives of the Australian Government’s National Waste Policy – specifically for industry taking responsibility for the environmental, health and safety of products across the manufacture-supply-consumption chain at end of life.
Participants to the Scheme will benefit from the promotion of the Scheme, the use of the Scheme logo and other educational resources, and the achievements of the Research and Development program.
 Environment, Protection and Heritage Council (2009). National Waste Policy: Less Waste, More Resources. Published by the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts. November 2009. Internet publication: http://www.scew.gov.au/node/849/